Monday, June 13, 2011

Last Minute Meal for Meatless Mondays

Hello everyone! I know I am posting this last minute, and because of that I decided to stick with the last minute theme and provide you with a super simple, cheap and healthy recipe for the entire family, picky eaters and all!

Now, some of you may be familiar with this recipe since it's not an original of mine and most people who like to cook know of it. I felt compelled to share it with you for reasons I stated already, and also because MY HUSBAND actually made this for Lily and me yesterday for lunch. Can you believe it? For those of you who know Paul, you will know what I mean. As for everyone else, Paul rarely cooks anything that isn't ready to heat right out of the box, so I was pleasantly surprised when out of the blue he told me he wanted to make these. He even went to the store and got the ingredients for it himself! And he made them really well!

So, without further ado, I present to you a quick an easy Mini Pizzas recipe!

Mini Pizzas

I didn't think to photograph the finished product myself, so this image is courtesy of jspatchwork via creativecommons.org
1 package of 6 English muffins
1/2 cup tomato sauce, homemade or store bought
1/2 cup shredded mozzerella cheese
Any of the following additional toppings, or whatever you like: olives, peppers, fresh tomato, fresh basil, eggplant, onions, broccoli, mushrooms, etc.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread each English muffin with 1-2 spoon fulls of tomato sauce. Top with shredded cheese and topping of your choice. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and muffin looks crispy around the edges. Top with a little oregano and/or basil.

And voila! Mini pizzas! I only offered meatless ingredient suggestions here, but you can obviously top with whatever you want, such as chicken, pepperoni, salami...you know what to do :) Lily just gobbled this up and I did too, also relishing in my break from preparing lunch.

For baby 6 months+:

1 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp shredded mozzerella
1/2 English muffin

Blend tomato sauce and cheese together either manually or in blender. Crumble muffin into cheesy sauce mix and spoon-feed to baby. Makes an Italian-style bread pudding! Alternately, mix into cold, cooked small-shaped pasta then spoon-feed to baby.

Make it even healthier by:
  • using whole wheat English Muffins
  • using fresh tomatoes only instead of sauce
  • use low-fat cheese
 Enjoy this simple recipe that ANYONE can make!!!

Love you, Paul!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...