Sunday, March 25, 2012

Meatless Monday: Diablo Potato Salad

Today's Meatless Monday features a potato salad recipe with a twist from one of the Honorable Mentions from therecipe contest I just held. The combination of the mildly sweet Yukon Gold potatoes with a mix of spices give your otherwise classic potato salad a kick. Thanks to Ashley of Healthy Mom for Junk Food Kids!

Diablo Potato Salad

Ingredients
(serves a cook-out!)

3 pounds baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved
1 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
1/2 tablespoon White pepper
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced chives (or more- I used 3 tablespoons)

Boil the potato halves for about 20 minutes or until tender. When I made this, I couldn't find any baby Yukon Golds at the local supermarket, so I just used regular Yukons cut into halves, then quarters, then halved again. While potatoes are cooking, whisk together all other ingredients. Drain potatoes once they're ready then mix together in a large bowl with the sauce. Serve at room temperature with extra chives if desired.

about to be boiled

whisking...

Final outcome with added chives

This was quite delish! I am a big potato salad fan and this one immediately caught my eye while perusing Ashley's blog one day. I'm glad she submitted it for the contest and that I got to try it! I still have a lot left to eat with lunch for the rest of the week! Lily and Paul liked it too, and I will be book-marking this for future BBQs.

Paprika is such a fun spice I think. It’s sweet and slightly hot and really works well with mayo. I especially like to top egg salad off with a sprinkling of it. You may not know it, but paprika does more than add a spike of flavor to your food. It’s high in vitamin C and has anti-inflammatory, blood-regulating, antibiotic, and digestion-aiding properties. Paprika is also great on poultry and in rice dishes, such as this one that’s a favorite in my family.

For baby:

Mash-up a half or two of the boiled potato and mix it with a little olive oil. The olive oil is very good for developing babies :)

Kids should like this potato salad too; despite it’s name, it is not as firey as you might think, and actually just has a nice bite to it that’s more on the mild side for kids who don’t like spicy foods. My Lily never did seem to mind spiciness as long as it wasn’t mouth-burning hot!

So, this is me trying to get back on track with my blogging. Hopefully I will get back to my 3+ posts a week and then have a new up-and-coming blog of the month next month, as well as my weekly blog hops. If you have someone to nominate for blog-of-the-month, do it now! Preferably a blog with 200 followers or less that’s related to parenting, cooking, arts and crafts, health and/or well-being. Have a good week!

2 comments:

  1. This looks tasty :) thanks for joining us at Creative Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for featuring me at your blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...