Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sweet Saturday #28: Turkey Loaf

I've been sick the past few days, so apologies for this link party being a day late!...Today's post isn't exactly sweet, but I wanted to share this recipe for those of you who don't have to/want to go all out for Thanksgiving this year. If I wasn't traveling to North Carolina to be with my extended family, I'd be home making this simple and tasty turkey loaf for Paul, Lily, and myself. I found the recipe in a book called 100 Best Slow Cooked Dishes and really enjoyed it when I made it a few weeks ago. Although the recipe was for making in a slow cooker, I made it in my oven instead.



Turkey Loaf
(serves 6-8)

Ingredients:

1 1/4 lb ground lean turkey meat
1 onion, chopped
2/3 cup rolled oats
2 tbsp fresh chopped sage
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ground turkey, onion, oats, sage, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into a greased 9" loaf pan and smooth the top out with a spatula. Place loaf into oven on center rack and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until loaf registers at 170 degrees in center. Slice up and serve after allowing to cool for a few minutes. See? Easy!



We had this with corn on the cob and asparagus baked eggs and it was all very good. The turkey loaf had a savory flavor from the sage and onion, and was just the right texture, didn't even need gravy! It's the perfect recipe for a small family, or for the mom who doesn't want go crazy making a huge turkey that just ends up being leftovers for weeks. The oats contain a lot of vitamins and nutrients that provide you with a natural burst of energy, and support for a healthy heart and immune system. They are high in fiber and can help lower cholesterol, and even lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.

Had it all again as leftovers the very next day

Lily ate every bite

She LOVES corn on the cob

 Now for our awesome fall-themed most-clicked features!

 
These scrumptious-looking maple brown sugar granola cookies were our most visited sweet treat. A healthier cookie that will still satisfy your sweet tooth ;) Thanks, Tammy, at Our Neck of the Woods! 



Diane at Simple Living and Eating shared this mouth-watering recipe for apple sage chicken that I cannot wait to try. Truly a unique and cozy recipe. Thanks, Diane!


Mary from Back to the Basics shared a post about gifting eco-friendly seeds that is not exactly fall-related, but with the holidays right around the corner, it's no wonder so many decided to click it! Take a look at her array of heirloom seed offerings if you missed it last week!

And the most clicked-on honorable mentions are:


Thanks to everyone who linked up, and welcome new linkers! Grab a button below if you were featured!

Photobucket


Now on to the party!

Just follow these simple rules:


1. Link up something sweet to really WOW us all- your blog, Etsy store, Pinterest, Facebook, whatever you want! 
2. Link-up as much as you want and please follow me if you are not already. Leave me a comment if you are a new follower so I can follow you back!
3. Don't forget to hop around and say hi!
4. Share my button to get more people to join us (not required, but it would be nice!)

Healthy Mommy, Healthy Baby

Thanks for stopping by, this little get together really makes the weekend even more enjoyable for me, and gives me the encouragement to keep my little blog going :) 

7 comments:

  1. Hi! The turkey loaf looks really good! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing and thank you for hosting the blog hop! Have a great weekend!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon, Jessica! Thanks for hosting :-)
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great recipe & for hosting, & God bless!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so trying the turkey recipe for my husband. Thanks for hosting a great link up. Following you now. :D
    Juanita
    http://beyondislandhopping.blogspot.co.nz
    http://lunchboxofawesome.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious loaf recipe, your girl is really cute! Thank you for hosting. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for featuring my granola cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for featuring my chicken dish. I was surprised at how much my family loved it. I hope your little sweety likes it too.
    I've never made a turkey loaf.... definitely a good change from meatloaf. Thanks for sharing this on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...