Sunday, September 16, 2012

Meatless Monday: Grilled Carrots and Yukons

Summer is coming to an end, but with the weather still warm, last week Paul and I decided to get some grilling done before it's completely gone. I tried something new and grilled organic carrots and Yukon Gold potatoes with some unique marinades. Take a look...


To prepare vegetables:

Cut ends off of each carrot (I used 8) and shave. Thoroughly wash potatoes (I used 2 large ones) and cut into quarters. Peel if desired. 

Rosemary-Balsamic Marinade

2 tbsp olive oil oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp rosemary (fresh or dried)

Mix all ingredients together in small bowl. Brush over vegetables with basting brush. Add extra rosemary if desired.

Curried-Maple Marinade

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp maple syrup

Melt butter (or you could use coconut oil instead) over low heat in small pan. Stir in curry to make it curry butter. Remove from heat and mix together with maple syrup in small bowl. Brush onto vegetables with basting brush. 

To grill:

Allow vegetables to marinate for at least one hour before grilling. Heat grill to 350 degrees, then place vegetables directly onto grill, or wrapped in tin foil if preferred. Heat carrots for 10 minutes on each side or until cooked through; heat potatoes 15-20 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Pierce with fork to test done-ness. Marinate once more halfway through cooking. Allow to cool before serving.

They were simply delicious! I loved how both of the marinades turned out, but if I had to choose, I'd have to say the carrots were best with the Rosemary-Balsamic and the potatoes were best with the Curried-Maple. Just delish! Paul, Lily, and I ate them all up! The carrots went the fastest, though...

This is an ideal way to serve veggies for the whole family. Each marinade is sweet and slightly spicy without going overboard, and with low calories and only natural, healthy sugars. I hope you enjoy! Serve babies over 6 months fresh veggies grilled without marinade and mashed with a fork. My niece loves them that way!

Now it's your turn to share your Meatless Monday dish below! No rules, other than please only link-up meat-free recipes. No other un-related links or I will remove them. Sorry to sound so harsh, but let's keep it true to what it is, ok? Link up as much as you want, and feel free to spread the word with the button below. Thanks, and have a great week! 

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Love your roasted vegetables! Thanks for hosting another week of Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting and for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I am so excited to find your blog and am adding the roasted veggies to our menu this week.I am always on the hunt for good wholesome recipes and am already eyeing the recipe for sweet potato fries... drool!

    Newest follower from Mom's Monday Mingle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting another Meatless Mondays! I shared by White Bean and Potato Breakfast Scramble, but it's a great savoury entree too. I love your idea to roast your vegetables in a curried maple sauce. Coconut oil could swap for the butter to make it vegan - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I updated my post to include that option, thanks!

      Delete
  5. Awe, I have to try this marinade! I need to eat more veggies, but my problem is that I don't find them as enjoyable as other foods. I guess I need to mix them with tasty marinades like this ;).

    And yay for the asparagus! I'll come over to see that post!

    Have a fun week, Jessica!

    Miki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These marinades work on my daughter, so hopefully they'll work on you ;)

      Delete
  6. That rosemary marinade sounds amazing! I wish I had something 'meatless' to link up!

    Thanks for linking up to the CHQ Blog Hop! See you again next week!

    Barbara at Chase the Star
    chasethestar dot net

    ReplyDelete
  7. those look great!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...