Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pork-free Andouille Sausage and Cauliflower Skillet + Aidells Sausage Review

I had a head of cauliflower and wanted something to do with it. Something new, yet simple too. I came across this easy recipe that looked like it would hit the spot, and it sure did. But, I wanted to beef it up a bit, and then I remembered the pack of Chef Bruce Aidells® Cajun Style Andouille sausage I had just bought. The combination came out even better than expected...


Andouille Sausage and Cauliflower Skillet
(serves 4-6)

Ingredients:

1 head of cauliflower, chopped into florets
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 small bunch of chives, chopped

1/2 tsp sea salt
Juice and zest of one lemon

1 12 oz package Chef Bruce Aidells® Cajun Style Andouille sausage (or something similar)
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil and sea salt in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the cauliflower and fry until partially browned, like in the pic below. Flip florets around as needed. Add the garlic and sausage and cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic in the last 30 seconds then remove from heat. Stir in the lemon juice, zest, and chives, then serve.

The delicate flavors of the cauliflower with lemon combined with the spicy sausage is an interesting balance. It tasted even better as leftovers for breakfast the next day, which I served with 2 fried eggs and some extra chives on top. 

Paul liked this one, too, and Lily liked the cauliflower, although the sausage was too hot and spicy for her. Beware of that fact if you are serving this to little ones who are sensitive to spicy foods! You can substitute with a less spicy sausage then, or omit completely for a more overall family-friendly meal. Paul just suggested using hot dogs instead...you know I wouldn't recommend that, but to each their own! There are other flavor options from Aidells brand, or you could use something else entirely.

The cauliflower on it's own is fine for babies 6 months and older. Kids should like the cauliflower fine on its own if they don't like the andouille, but if they remain picky, my magic trick is adding some grated Parmesan!

As for this brand of sausage, I was happy with it. I picked it up because there was a sample lady singing its praises at Stop and Shop the other day, so I gave what she was offering a try. The first kind she gave me was a sample of Aidells® Roasted Garlic & Gruyere, which I thought I would love, but something about it didn't quite grab me. I think it was a little too heavy on the gruyere or something...I know- how can that be?!

    
So then she gave me a few other choices and my ears perked up when I heard andouille, since all of Aidells® products are made with poultry, and not pork. I eat andouille on occasion (like when dining out or when I know it's from a humanely raised animal), and I must say it is my favorite sausage. I hadn't found a pork-free version until this day at Stop and Shop. I tried a mini version of the Cajun Style Andouille and liked it enough to buy a pack. The happy sample lady gave me a $1 off coupon and a little booklet with more product info and more coupons. 

I imagined lots of fun ways to use this sausage: serving them up as hors d'oeuvres at a BBQ or other gathering wrapped up with asparagus spears in smoked cheddar cheese, slicing them up with scrambled eggs (which I did and that was good too!), concocting some fun skillet (Which I also did! See pic below). This is a very tasty and versatile sausage- hot and spicy, yes, but I found it to be just the right amount of hotness. It won't send you running for the water after you eat a plateful, but you may need a cold drink after the initial shock of the first bite. 

  
Overall, this is a good product and I recommend it. I also like that on the website it says that Chef Bruce Aidell uses only "humanely raised poultry". I don't know the full extent of that as it doesn't go into details about the farming practices, but I will do some digging. Aidells® does make organic products, too, and the site also says they support non-profits, but there isn't much detail about that either. Take a look at their site for more information. 

Note: I was not paid or asked to write this review, I did it by my own accord. Do you know a great product I should review, or a product you’re curious about but afraid to try? Let me know in the comments! Just please suggest a natural, organic, eco-friendly, or health or food-related product so it will at least coincide with my blog’s theme, thanks! OR you can send me a product you'd like me to review for you, by contacting me at healthymommyhealthybaby@gmail.com for more details.



3 comments:

  1. I love this companies sausages thanks for sharing your recipe on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you really need for a baby? With so many car seats for toddlers review on the market what do you really need?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...