Monday, May 21, 2012

Meatless Monday: Kale Pesto with Feta

Happy Meatless Monday, everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I had a very productive one- in a good way! I went yard sale hopping (scored a bunch of goodies which I may write a separate post for), attended the beautiful wedding of one of my dearest friends, reorganized and cleaned my house, then had a lovely Sunday afternoon with my family :) What did you do?

Last Monday, I tried a variation on a recipe from WholeFoodsMarket.com, Kale Pesto with Baked Feta! OMG, so good! Even Lily liked it! Recipe below...


Baked Kale Pesto with Feta on Baguette
(serves 6-8)

1 cup rinsed, de-stemmed, and chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 8oz block of feta, drained and patted dry
1 baguette, classic or whole wheat
1 tsp dried rosemary

First, spread the pine nuts onto a small baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. You can also buy pine nuts pre-toasted. Next, slice the baguette into as many pieces as you plan to eat or serve, then put slices into the oven to lightly toast. Meanwhile, place the kale, garlic and pine nuts into food processor and finely chop. While motor is running on the food processor, drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice. 


I actually- believe it or not -do not own a food processor, so I put everything into my blender, which is not a method I'd recommend unless you really want to try this recipe and don't have a food processor handy. It worked, but it took a while and I had to constantly turn the blender off and shift the ingredients around with a spatula to ensure that everything got chopped properly. 

playing quietly while Mommy works in the kitchen

Once bread is done toasting, place slices of feta on top then sprinkle rosemary on top of that.  Put tray back into the toaster and toast for about 3 minutes, then take out once more and spoon pesto on top, toasting for another 2-3 minutes or until warm. Serve right away as a canape or side dish.



I wasn't sure if Lily would like this since the kale has such a sharp taste, but guess what- she gobbled it up! And then asked for more! I was quite pleased. If you or your child dislikes the strong green flavor of kale, but you want to try this anyway, you can blanch the kale by boiling it for 3 minutes, then placing it into ice cold water for another 3 minutes. This will dillute the bitterness of the kale, but won't decrease the nutrition content by too much.

Also, you can serve this super green up to baby the same way you would spinach. Steam or boil kale until very soft, mash up in food processor, then serve with breast milk or formula. Yummy!!!



This is a wonderful variation on the classic Italian-style pesto. You can enjoy this on a salad or sandwich, or just as is on a fork! I actually took the last bit that was left after all the baguette was gone, and then added the last of the crumbled up feta to it, then ate it like a salad itself. Very satisfying. 


We enjoyed it with some leftover Nanny Rose's Lentil Soup, see recipe here

I don't eat pine nuts too often, but when I do, I am always glad I did. Pine nuts are full of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, B vitamins, manganese, and oleic acid, a cholesterol-lowering nutrient. They also contain a high amount of antioxidants and healthy fatty acids that can help curb an over-active appetite. They are delicious toasted or right out of the package. Many raw food stores sell them by the pound.


If you have a Meatless Monday meal you'd like to share, feel free to link it up below. Only rules are that it is meat-free and family-friendly. Also, please follow your hostess, moi :)






10 comments:

  1. I'm your 100th follower from the couponing & cooking blog hop! Please checkout my blog if you get a chance: godsgrowinggarden.blogspot.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! ...and thank you for dropping by my blog :) Looking forward to following...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am sooooo sorry that i didn't get to link up the garlic scapes pesto -- my computer was acting wonky as it is today too and just wouldn't let me on here -- so so sorry!!! this looks AMAZING!!!! on my to make list for sure! healthy hugs to you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks very good! I found your blog via Finding New Friends Weekend Blog Hop. I am now following you. Please return the favor. Thanks!
    http://lovejoyjunction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining our Finding New Friends Weekend Blog Hop. Please check out my Contests I have Louis Vuitton, $200 of any prize you want and more - Amee of MadameDeals

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining our Finding New Friends Weekend Blog Hop. Please check out my Contests I have Louis Vuitton, $200 of any prize you want and more - Amee of MadameDeals

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great way to use kale! Thanks for linking up at Mealtime Monday. You're being featured this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So simple and healthy... great to see that they are kid friendly too. Thanks for sharing this on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments and always want to know what you think :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...